Doctors have been widely accused of having the 'God complex'. A doctor gets annoyed when the patient, nurse or even other doctors tell him what to do.
He is also very proud of himself rather than happy for the patient whenever he does something that saves the patient from a lot of pain or even death.
A number of things also contribute greatly to this narcissism. Things like pulling off any of the following manoeuvres:
1. The Heimlich
2. Needle thoracostomy and tracheostomy
3. Kocher's manoeuvre and dt hip dislocation reduction thing
4. Arrest of hemorrhage
5. Securin' an IV when evry1 else has failed
6. The shoulder dystocia routine
7. Removal of retained placenta
8. Relievin d patient's urinary retention
9. Removal of foreign objects esp frm d child's ear and nose
10. Ultimately, performing a successful CPR.
It really takes the grace of God to accept the 'we care, God cures' thingie. Just that at times, we are spited by the cases we face irrespective of our depth of knowledge and experience.
As I always like to tell my patient's relations when they ask me if the patient will be OK...'I can only do my best and hope for the best for the patient'.
Tagged in this note: Hippocrates (our imposed mentor)